Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

SN parenting confessions - am I the only one?

Motherofvegemiteandwonder

PM

So, I know that as the parent of a special needs child, I’m meant to have been specially chosen by God for the job and that no one knows “how I do it”. But, I do have a few confessions to make…

On weekends, my daughter often gets her meds and breakfast late, because if she wants to sleep in, there is no way on earth I’m going to get out of bed, let alone risk waking her up!

I make sure school does her therapy routines religiously, but I’m a bit lazy about doing them at home.

And on occasion I’ve been known to use my daughter as an excuse for skipping or leaving early from social events, when in fact, it is just me.

And we have a pair of AFOs at home that she hasn’t worn in probably 2 months or more…

Anyone else like to confess?

(I should note that this is intended to be completely lighthearted and I try very hard to give my daughter the best care possible!)

13 February 2017 01:43 PM # 1

AlwaysRunning

PM

You’re absolutely not the only one.

I regularly use my child to not go to things when in fact I probably could quite easily.
When he got his walking frame - I said I would take it every where. Its only been out of the house twice :(

But I try not to beat myself up to much. At the end of the day I’m doing my best.

14 February 2017 05:58 AM # 2

Motherofvegemiteandwonder

PM

Thanks Always Running! I’m glad its not just me! :)

08 March 2017 09:34 PM # 3

J Shenal

PM

You are definitely not the only one and I’m so glad that I’m not either :-)  There are many times that I now let things slide at home, as I know they’ve focused hard on them at school or therapy.  It took me a long time to get to that point, but sometimes it honestly feels so good to just cuddle and watch cartoons with my girl!

12 March 2017 09:41 PM # 4

Angelyn

PM

None of you are alone!  Our son’s wheelchair has been in the garage all winter.  But guess what?  He is LOVED beyond measure and he knows it.  Most days I just want to be his mommy and not have to play therapist, nurse, etc.  We all do our very best to take care of our kids, special needs or not, and part of that is taking care of ourselves and taking it easy sometimes.

Signature

Angelyn

02 April 2017 07:39 PM # 5

KaitlynBeuving

PM

I’m with you! I like to think that most of our lives are insane with therapy and sickness and appointments, and they need to just be kids sometimes. Snuggling with mama and sissys is therapy for all our souls! Real childhood is valuable too.
And diddo to the sleeping in part. No way I’m ever waking up any of my kids for that! Sleep. Wins.

04 April 2017 11:17 AM # 6

Kerry-Ann Fender

PM

Hi,
Yes, I have a confession to make. How many Hail Marys do I get for this (or for taking my child’s teacher’s name in vain)?

Bless me, teacher, for I have sinned. I do sometimes feed my son, even though he’s 8, and even though you have impressed upon me just how much I am undoing all your diligent hard work by doing this. I do it because it’s quicker when we’re in a hurry trying to get ready for school (and it’s been proven children who have breakfast concentrate better), and sometimes just because I can’t bear to see him leave another meal uneaten rather than struggle with a knife and fork. His pencil grip may be good with the chubby pencils you have at school, but his grip on cutlery is poor. Perhaps instead of offering me absolution (with a condescending smile), you could persuade someone to refer me to the OT, their input might help me stop my sinful behaviour.

05 April 2017 09:58 PM # 7

Healing Heart

PM

Laughing at all of us and our pure honesty.  Maybe the outside world would judge us… but damn special needs parenting is hard, and we’re not perfect and we’re tired, and we’re trying and there isn’t enough hours in the day to fit in every single therapy and exercise and practice that we can.  We’re human.  (even though we like to pretend we can take on the world)...
My son’s power wheelchair sat in the garage all winter - at this rate he’ll never learn to drive it independently - I have to have the seat on it (Which is a custom seat) remolded because he grew over the winter and I’m so unmotivated to make the appointment because it’s an hour one way and an 8 hour appointment once you get there) and my mind is giving that idea the middle finger righ now.  My kids have been sick on and off for 60 days.  My SN child is on his 4th antibiotic and I’m so exhausted that I find myself just not giving a shit about things I probably otherwise should because I can’t keep up.  And I have no help - none.  I have my mother and my husband who is rarely home because he’s a semi-trucker driver.  Other than that all responsibilities for everything - therapies, phone calls, emails, insurance, caring for sick kids, endless laundry, cooking, specialty diets, therapy exercises, all of it falls to me.  And I wish I could say I could do it all but I can’t… so confessions… right now I kind of suck and I’m not afraid to admit it.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

06 May 2017 07:35 AM # 8

Tina

PM

Love this thread! Unfortunately I don’t think there is enough characters for what I would need to confess to!! 

I’ll start by saying that I regularly swear and curse and don’t believe I am not allowed to get cross about all the other things my mum friends do just because my son has autism. That doesn’t mean he is any less annoying than any other 9 year old boy!!

Register to Post a Reply