Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Negativity

rutravel@gmail.com

PM

Hi

My son has speech developmental delay and is 9, but can not read.  He is very frustrated about it and likes to spoil the reading time saying ‘my life is so miserable, I want to kill myself’.  I feel he just likes to sabotage the session in order to get away with it.  Any advice please?

Thank you,
Ravel

16 January 2017 12:28 AM # 1

Gaia

PM

My guys struggle with the whole reading thing as well.  I have combined 2 approaches:

1)  sounding out may be hindering him - so have him memorise words (without realising he is)
2)  take a simple reading book - identify the key words that you know he is going to struggle with.  Then incorporate those words into something like cooking, or playing a game, or such.  He will learn the words prior to the reading time, and when it comes time to read, he will feel like a champion!
3)  Don’t make reading time formal.  If you talk to a speech therapist, there is a lot of material out there that incorporates the ability to read right into a game.  The “play-time” model really works!

Of course he is going to sabotage reading time.  It is horribly painful for a person to be challenged directly with so much material.

16 January 2017 12:59 AM # 2

rutravel@gmail.com

PM

Thank you very much Gaia,  I’ll do anything to help him, so will take on board your advise and see how it goes.
Best wishes, Ravel

25 July 2017 10:46 PM # 3

Healing Heart

PM
rutravel@gmail.com - 15 January 2017 10:28 AM

Hi

My son has speech developmental delay and is 9, but can not read.  He is very frustrated about it and likes to spoil the reading time saying ‘my life is so miserable, I want to kill myself’.  I feel he just likes to sabotage the session in order to get away with it.  Any advice please?

Thank you,
Ravel

Awhh poor little love is just so frustrated.  Painful of course that he uses the words that he wants to kill himself… because he wants so hard to do it.  You might want to try those refrigerator magnets where kids can spell words and make it a game or a fun activity so he doesn’t realize it’s traditional learning like sitting down and looking a book which to him will signal “I’m a failure.”  It will likely take a lot of different types of activities rather than a book for him to feel comfortable with trying even if he struggles a little.  He’s associated a book and reading with something negative, rewards also might be in order.  Reading one sentence and you get ice cream… I know people might disagree with me but both my typical child and SN child respond well to rewards and it changes their “I can’t… into I can…. sending hugs I know it’s challenging for moms and dads too….

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

26 July 2017 09:27 AM # 4

rutravel@gmail.com

PM

Thank you for your kind words.  I will look into different activities for reading until I find one that matches his interest.  Thank you again

Register to Post a Reply