Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Night sweats and Cerebral Palsy

sarahbrisdion

PM

Hi everyone,

I’m currently waiting for a call back from Hadley’s Paediatrician, but just wondered if anyone has any advice/experience of night sweats in children with Cerebral Palsy. Hadley seems to be waking pretty much the same time every night (between 10 and 11pm) absolutely drenched in sweat. His clothes and bed linen have to be changed it’s so wet. It’s really disturbing his already challenging sleep patterns.  It’s been happening on and off for the past few months. Seemingly it’s quite common. Be really interested to know if you have any tips and things your docs have told you etc.

He doesn’t have many covers on - a very light sheet and 2 tog quilt. He is a warm person anyway and I don’t have his radiator on above 1 in his room during the day, which basically just stops it from becoming ridiculously cold in the winter as we have an old, chilly bungalow. It’s off completely at night time.

A friend of mine says her little boy suffers with them and she has to remove his bedclothes completely sometimes once he is asleep and so I’m going to give that a try to see if it helps a bit. He hates not having covers on and likes to pull them up quite high (which is not helping I’m sure even though they are lightweight). So I’m going to take them off tonight when he is asleep and just put them back on when I go to bed and see if it makes any difference.

Thoughts welcome. xx

17 January 2017 08:38 PM # 1

Healing Heart

PM

My son doesn’t necessarily have night sweats, but he cannot regulate body temperature in either direction (hot or cold) have you tried any cooling sheets?  I know those work really well for children that get over heated during night hours.  They are really nice and not super expensive

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

03 April 2017 02:46 PM # 2

Dawn

PM

Ah, this might explain my lads sweaty sleep! He’s just 19 months but obvious CP and also usually very sweaty back, probably not helped by sleep system and plastic sheet but we need that due to the regular vomiting… Physio hoping to source us a cool sheet but happy to take any recommendations? One we tried from the OT store made it worse!

05 April 2017 09:53 PM # 3

Healing Heart

PM
Dawn - 03 April 2017 02:46 PM

Ah, this might explain my lads sweaty sleep! He’s just 19 months but obvious CP and also usually very sweaty back, probably not helped by sleep system and plastic sheet but we need that due to the regular vomiting… Physio hoping to source us a cool sheet but happy to take any recommendations? One we tried from the OT store made it worse!

Ironically, I’ve found the best cooling sheets or pads off of Amazon - just regular ones they aren’t labeled special needs or from any special needs vendor.  And they are of course much cheaper than trying to get them as a “special needs product.”

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply