Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Vacationing

Angelyn

PM

Okay, it’s 14 degrees and snowing here right now, so a warm vacation sounds amazing.  We were blessed with a Make-A-Wish trip this past fall.  Honestly, taking a trip on our own with both of our children is impossible to achieve without paying a nurse (or two) to come along.  How do those of you with SN children who receive around the clock care ever take a family trip?

Signature

Angelyn

17 January 2017 08:41 PM # 1

Healing Heart

PM

Usually when I’m invited to guest speak, or to an event I try to gently express that our son needs an extra attendant/respite provider and/or nurse when traveling.  Sometimes we’re really good at handling things just between mom and dad, but if it’s an event or travel that requires me to work and I’m away and unable to care give - meaning it’s not a true vacation then I do need the extra help because he does require 24/7 care.  There are some vacation places that even have special needs nannies - I think there is one in the Bahamas - never been there - and I’m not sure if I would trust a stranger to complete care of my medically fragile child, but it’s an option I know for some parents who need a vacation but also need extra help while on vacation.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply