Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Sensory Brushing protocol

demircifd

PM

Hello,
I have a 5 year old ASD child. She has sensitivity to hand driers and similar sounds. She would not get into toilets with handdriers. I was wondering if Willbarger brushing protocol would be of any help with this?
How can an OT help? and should I really get an OT for her (I have to go private as NHS OT does not do sensory Integration therapy). What does the research say about the SI therapy for autistic children?

Thanks
Fatma

05 January 2017 08:33 AM # 1

Kathryn - Firefly Therapist

PM

Hi Fatma,

Many thanks for your enquiry.
Yes an OT can help with this, however extra training is required to provide SI assessments and treatments (which i have not completed).
I would recommend you find a private OT in your local area who is trained in Sensory Integration (SI) and sensory processing disorder and they will be able to provide you with appropriate techniques to help your child.
Some techniques you could try for now would be: Allow you child to wear ear plugs or head phones when entering a bathroom with hand driers as this will help muffle the loud sound, and overtime my help to reduce her fear. Around the home try and be aware of loud sounds that may upset her, and reduce these were possible. For example: if the T.V, washing machine and hoover are all on at once, this could be quite stressful for her.

I hope you will find a SI trained OT in your local area.

Take care

Kathryn

Signature

Kathryn

25 July 2017 10:48 PM # 2

Healing Heart

PM
demircifd - 04 January 2017 07:08 PM

Hello,
I have a 5 year old ASD child. She has sensitivity to hand driers and similar sounds. She would not get into toilets with handdriers. I was wondering if Willbarger brushing protocol would be of any help with this?
How can an OT help? and should I really get an OT for her (I have to go private as NHS OT does not do sensory Integration therapy). What does the research say about the SI therapy for autistic children?

Thanks
Fatma

I wish I had amazing advice but 8 years later there are still sounds that send my child to the moon and make him gag and literally throw up.  No amount of sensory integration has touched his sensory issues.  And I’m not sure anything will ever work.  I’ve done brushing, I’ve done noise therapy, I’ve done oils and calming therapy… you name it I’ve tried it and nothing works.  And he likely has the worst sensory issues I’ve ever seen in a child.  I’ve never seen anyone else’s child literally force themselves to vomit over something that is bothering them…. and he’s been like this since he was 3…. :(

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply