Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

What home modifications could you not live without?

Motherofvegemiteandwonder

PM

Or did you get and could have lived without? We will start modifying our house in early 2017 to better fit the needs of our 5-year old daughter who is unable to sit or stand unsupported. However, talking to occupational therapists, there seems to be a vast range of modifications (hoists, equipment, etc) that are available (often at vast expense), but talking to parents, not all of them turn out to be very useful. I’d love to hear what those who have adapted their house for their child have found most and least useful.

09 January 2017 09:14 PM # 1

Angelyn

PM

I am curious about other’s answers on this as well.  Our son is 3 1/2 and we have been able to carry him and transfer him ourselves up to this point, but as he continues to grow and get heavier we will need to begin thinking about hoists, etc. ourselves.

Signature

Angelyn

17 January 2017 08:45 PM # 2

Healing Heart

PM

The Bathroom Modification was likely the best and biggest project for us.  We were really fortunate to have insurance assistance with it because it was very expensive, but it has a walk in shower, raised jetted tub, accessible toilet, a caregiver sink and accessible height sink, and a changing table.  We also have a brick paved ramp out front of our home which was my second favorite modification, and new tile flooring for the lower level which has been great for the gait trainers and therapy area.  I was most disappointed with the stair lift however (although in the UK the Stanna lift is pretty amazing) but they refuse to sell it here.  And the stair lift was too big on the stair case so I could not get adaptive equipment up and down the stairs once it was installed.  We ultimately had to remove it and it’s now just being stored in the basement sadly.  But hands down the Bathroom gets my vote for most needed modification.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

17 January 2017 11:16 PM # 3

Dragon_Mama

PM

One of the things we will be making sure we put in ours is excessive amounts of power points at waist height because I’m absolutely sick of extention leads!!

17 January 2017 11:17 PM # 4

Dragon_Mama

PM

Ooh the other thing we have had installed is H track ceiling hoists which mean that we have access to the whole room so we can verify flexible with how we use the space.  They’re brilliant!

25 January 2017 12:49 AM # 5

Motherofvegemiteandwonder

PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think the bathroom will be the big one for us as well. At the moment, our daughter LOVES her baths, so we’re hoping to find a solution where we can get her in and out of a bathtub. Wondering if those with older children, still give baths, or surrender to the easier shower solution? It is so hard to know if what suits her at 5 will still work at 15…

And yes, yes, yes to the power points! I’m really sick of all the extension cords in her bedroom.

25 January 2017 08:15 AM # 6

Dragon_Mama

PM

We are in the process of adapting our new house and we’re definitely installing a bath - we bought a second hand one (very minimal use) which is height adjustable and thermostatically controlled with a shower attachment and a fold over changing platform.  We will hoist from bed to Bath and then up onto the platform for drying.  My son is almost 30kg and is mostly low tone (SQCP5) but has quite strong dystonic posturing.  He has epilepsy and a tracheostomy so bathing can be pretty hazardous and he is not able to regulate his temperature well so showering is the less favourable option.  He loves a bath too so win win!

26 January 2017 09:57 AM # 7

AlwaysRunning

PM

One of the things I didn’t appreciate would make such a massive difference to us is widened doors - it is a messy and big job and I was a bit ‘is this really necessary’ but we’ve since moved up the next size in home sitting and its so much easier to move around the house.

Register to Post a Reply