Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Therapy Plateau - is it okay to take a break?

firefly3657

PM

We haven’t been getting a whole lot from our therapy sessions lately.  It almost seems as though Charlie has reached a bit of a saturation point, and I must admit I’m tired too.

My question is - what do you think about therapy breaks?  Is it better to take a break and come back ready to achieve big things (hopefully)?  Or is the risk of backsliding just not worth it and we should press on?

I’d love to hear from people who’ve taken a hiatus as well as people who have pushed through a plateau.

22 September 2016 09:08 AM # 1

AlwaysRunning

PM

We quite regularly take breaks from therapy and yes when we go back to it we have a bit of work to catch up again but I think it is worth it just for my mental and physical health and for the good of our family life.

Our therapists are very much about incorporating ‘therapy’ in to our daily activities rather than having block sets of therapy through the day. So for example we practice sit to stand when we are going for a nappy change, we do stepping practice moving from day chair in to the bedroom to get ready for bed. If we are waiting for an appointment we’ll practice a bit of following instructions - that sort of thing rather than saying today from 3-4pm we’ll do our therapy session.

30 September 2016 03:59 AM # 2

Healing Heart

PM

I love breaks - in fact I feel like I need another one - and so does my son… I don’t ever really see a regression of skills when we take a break - but four sanity and comfort it really feels necessary to take a breather - it’s so hard to have therapists in and out of your home all day - that it feels like you are lacking privacy to stay in your pajammas all day or that you can’t leave dishes in the sink for an hour… because someone is coming over to help your child - there are days I just want to hibernate with a cup of hot chocolate and cuddle with him instead.  I just want to live… and be happy and breathe and not be so smothered by everyday appointments.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

01 November 2016 10:15 AM # 3

sarahbrisdion

PM

That’s a really good question and something that I often wonder myself.

We really struggle to get Hadley to do a lot of therapy and it makes me feel so guilty. I often think that it’s holding him back and that he would be more mobile if we pushed through and ‘made’ him do it. But it’s not ever quite as black and white as that. It’s very hard to get him to do anything he doesn’t want to and so we have a lot of breaks from therapy, in fact every day is a break really, we just do the bear minimum within his day, hiding therapy within every day tasks and counting a day that he has worn his splints for the morning as a win!

I have had to stop worrying about it as it was really upsetting me. He is happy and he is just being a 6 year old and enjoying himself. He could be mobile sooner, but at what price? I am really hoping that as he gets older and understands more about how the therapy will help him become more independent, that he will want to do it and then he can progress later.

I watched a wonderful video about a guy (with quad CP) who improved his condition in adult-hood through repetitive movements and ‘re-wired’ his brain (if that makes sense) and he proved that it’s not always about early intervention and you can still make progress later in life. This gave me a lot of hope for Hadley.

15 December 2016 03:31 AM # 4

Healing Heart

PM

I’m about ready to take another break… two weeks off for the holiday so we can be NORMAL!  No therapists during the holiday season… nope, none.  Done to the new year!  HA HA.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

16 January 2017 06:03 PM # 5

Sylvia

PM

I think a lot of us need a break from our regular routines now and then. My daughter was released from her physical and occupational therapy. We were told that she had achieved all her goals and no longer needed OT or PT. Just to keep her physically active, we enrolled her in a special needs fitness class once a week and she floats around in the pool once a week as well. I must say that this has done immensely more for her than all those years of therapies!!

08 March 2017 09:58 PM # 6

J Shenal

PM

I have found that my daughter does better after a break.  We’re taking a break now from outpatient Speech and OT (she gets them at school) and she’s really flourishing.  I think she was overstressed with all the extra sessions we were doing.  She seems to come back stronger and more focused after breaks.  In my opinion, sometimes, time away can do a world of good.

Register to Post a Reply