Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Bigger Ride On Toys

Brody, Me & GDD

PM

Does anyone know of a bigger sized ride on toy?

My son is a tall 4 year old and only in the past year has learned to use a ride on. But they are really now too small for him. And bigger ride on type toys have pedals, which he can’t use.

I have contacted a few toy manufacturers about it, but have not had any luck so far. I hope that there is something out there, but if there is - I just can’t find it! Would be great to find one for Christmas. At the moment, he uses a swing car as one (he can’t use it the “correct” way), but it’s really not the right size for him.

Thanks xx

22 September 2016 09:28 AM # 1

AlwaysRunning

PM

Do you think he’d be able to manage a balance bike…

https://www.puky.net/en/k/laufraeder

24 September 2016 10:27 PM # 2

Brody, Me & GDD

PM
AlwaysRunning - 22 September 2016 09:28 AM

Do you think he’d be able to manage a balance bike…

https://www.puky.net/en/k/laufraeder

Unfortunately not, thank you though :) We’ve thought about trying one with stabilisers maybe x

28 September 2016 12:32 AM # 3

Angelyn

PM

How about a tricycle for stability but remove the pedals?

Signature

Angelyn

30 September 2016 03:44 AM # 4

Healing Heart

PM

Are you hunting something more electronic or powered rather than pedals?

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

09 October 2016 12:06 PM # 5

inclusive home

PM

I’ve seen this before and wondered if the trike option could work for a taller child - it seems to be just about flipping the arch in the centre to increase the size.  They only show this for the 2 wheel version but might be worth asking if there’s any reason you couldn’t do it for the 3 wheel configuration?
http://www.wishbonedesign.com/#!/products/bike/details/

09 October 2016 08:40 PM # 6

Brody, Me & GDD

PM

Sorry guys, I dont know how I missed your replies!

Definitely worth me asking that company, thank you! I was thinking of asking the people that make wheely bugs.

Angelyn, definitely something manual.

There is so a market for a bigger ride on toy. We just need someone to see it!

09 October 2016 09:00 PM # 7

inclusive home

PM

I saw a story a while back about a product design group making a bigger sized scuttlebug for a little girl with mobility/ balance issues.
Just found a link: https://www.demand.org.uk/our-stories/people-we-help/summer/

16 October 2016 11:36 PM # 8

Healing Heart

PM
Brody, Me & GDD - 09 October 2016 08:40 PM

Sorry guys, I dont know how I missed your replies!

Definitely worth me asking that company, thank you! I was thinking of asking the people that make wheely bugs.

Angelyn, definitely something manual.

There is so a market for a bigger ride on toy. We just need someone to see it!

I really like wheely bugs they are so cute

Signature

18 October 2016 12:17 PM # 9

Tetraspecial

PM

My son is nearly four and LOVES his ride-on toys! He also does not walk.  From a really young age he showed an interest in simple ride on toys and he was more fascinated with the steering wheel than propelling himself along.  But as he got older he learned to propel himself and he developed quite a flair for navigating them, including tight spots and three-point-turns!

But as he grew, like with your son, his long legs became too long for the height of the seat to the floor.  Pedal-powered tractors etc were not an option because this skill is out of his grasp.  We experimented (at great expense!) with various vehicles and found that the best was a trike which can eventually be converted to a bike.  It is called a Y Velo Flippa.  It is entirely stable with three wheels and the handlebars and saddle can be adjusted to grow with the child.

Jenson is now 1 metre tall and the only traditional car ‘ride on’ that still suits him is his minature BMW - you can get them on ebay for about £60.  It’s height is slightly larger than your average ride on.  An added benefit of this is the noise reducing rubber tyres it comes with!  Also it is pretty stylish :)

A friend of the family is a dapper seamstress and she has made us various foam cushions that attach by Velcro to his ride ons that he had otherwise outgrown.  You can buy stuff foam from material/hardware shops and have it cut into a saddle shape and then cover it with waterproof/hardwearing material.  This has been a godsend for prolonging the life of Jenson’s beloved ride-ons!

Signature

Mum to a genetically enhanced superhero…
Amateur Firefly blogger…
Embracing this scary and wonderful special needs journey…

20 October 2016 09:27 PM # 10

Brody, Me & GDD

PM
Tetraspecial - 18 October 2016 12:17 PM

My son is nearly four and LOVES his ride-on toys! He also does not walk.  From a really young age he showed an interest in simple ride on toys and he was more fascinated with the steering wheel than propelling himself along.  But as he got older he learned to propel himself and he developed quite a flair for navigating them, including tight spots and three-point-turns!

But as he grew, like with your son, his long legs became too long for the height of the seat to the floor.  Pedal-powered tractors etc were not an option because this skill is out of his grasp.  We experimented (at great expense!) with various vehicles and found that the best was a trike which can eventually be converted to a bike.  It is called a Y Velo Flippa.  It is entirely stable with three wheels and the handlebars and saddle can be adjusted to grow with the child.

Jenson is now 1 metre tall and the only traditional car ‘ride on’ that still suits him is his minature BMW - you can get them on ebay for about £60.  It’s height is slightly larger than your average ride on.  An added benefit of this is the noise reducing rubber tyres it comes with!  Also it is pretty stylish :)

A friend of the family is a dapper seamstress and she has made us various foam cushions that attach by Velcro to his ride ons that he had otherwise outgrown.  You can buy stuff foam from material/hardware shops and have it cut into a saddle shape and then cover it with waterproof/hardwearing material.  This has been a godsend for prolonging the life of Jenson’s beloved ride-ons!

Thanks so much for this! Off to have a look. Do the pedals get in the way on the balance bike?

24 October 2016 09:49 PM # 11

Brody, Me & GDD

PM
the inclusive home - 09 October 2016 09:00 PM

I saw a story a while back about a product design group making a bigger sized scuttlebug for a little girl with mobility/ balance issues.

Vaila, just looked at this and totally going to send the link to the contact! Thank yooooou xxx

14 December 2016 05:27 PM # 12

Healing Heart

PM
Brody, Me & GDD - 24 October 2016 09:49 PM
the inclusive home - 09 October 2016 09:00 PM

Vaila, just looked at this and totally going to send the link to the contact! Thank yooooou xxx

Brody - how did it ever work out with contacting the company?

Signature

Register to Post a Reply