Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Pets

Supermum

PM

We have a 3yr old Yorkshire terrier and I can honestly say she’s great with our son, as soon as she sees his bus she’s jumping up to the window and races to the door and jumps on his knee and licks his hands and face, we weren’t so sure how’d they’d get on but they are great for each other, she is so placid and he can pull her tail and ears and slap her silly and she just lays there taking it. She’s amazing. Does anybody else have a pet who you’d be lost without.

20 October 2014 03:49 AM # 1

Healing Heart

PM

We have two cairn terriers which are great I think for both of our children.  I have one dog that doesn’t pay Noah a whole lot of attention - and one that wants to mother him.  We are almost at the end of the process of obtaining Noah’s service dog who arrives sometime between February and April of next year.  It was a long expensive process that required a lot of fundraising but we are so excited for this next adventure.

His service dog will specialize in seizure response, stability and mobility assistance.  Some of her skills will include opening doors, pushing handicapped access, dialing 911 if there is an emergency on a k-9 phone, pulling his wheelchair, blocking so he doesn’t roll into danger, fetching medications, toys, bracing if Noah learns to bear weight and stand/walk… etc.  She’ll also accompany us everywhere which will be something new to get used to. 

Pets and service animals can be a very healing element in the special needs journey.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

20 October 2014 01:25 PM # 2

Supermum

PM

That sounds amazing, they really are such clever animals and some of the skills that they can be taught now is fantastic, it will probably take a lot of getting used to but also a great comfort knowing that Noah will be protected by such a wonderful animal.

04 November 2014 04:02 PM # 3

Buttercup

PM

We have ponies, our daughter loves them, one especially has ‘adopted’ her as his own. She helps with all aspects of looking after them in some form or another!

13 November 2014 09:24 PM # 4

the monkey puzzler

PM

Healing Heart. That sounds absolutely amazing. Never ceases to amaze me how much dogs can be trained to do. I work with someone who is a volunteer for guide dogs for the blind here in Uk and she always has the puppy’s in work while they are in training. So hard to resist stroking them and playing with them though!!
We have a Golden Labrador who is pretty nuts - we didn’t really manage to train him. But he is so gentle and loving to our disabled son. Again it’s amazing how he just seems to know he needs to calm down around him. He makes our son laugh so much as he follows him (with his eyes) around the room.

22 December 2014 04:48 PM # 5

emmyisastar

PM

We have two awesome chocolate labs who are great with Emmy!  She loves to “throw” the ball with them.  And you’ll often find them both curled up near her on the floor.  So sweet.

Register to Post a Reply