Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Donkey sanctuary therapy

Supermum

PM

We don’t use it as often as we should as our son loves it, he gets to explore different activities while moving around on the donkey, also a great place to meet other parents. Have others used this type of fun therapy.

16 October 2014 10:47 PM # 1

Healing Heart

PM

We don’t have donkey therapy out here in the states.  We call it hippotherapy and it’s done on some rather big horses.  I didn’t learn of donkey therapy until I traveled to the UK, and I loved the idea because donkey’s are a little smaller than most horses, and would be easier for smaller children the ability to spread their legs comfortably.  We did hippotherapy for almost 3 years before my son’s therapist quit and they decided not to replace her, leaving us without a spot for hippotherapy.  I greatly miss it.  He benefited so much in head and neck/trunk improvement from doing hippotherapy.  I think it’s a fantastic therapy, and I love that they do it with donkeys.  Even has great social benefits and encourages speech development and like you mentioned a lot of fun.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

30 April 2015 04:38 PM # 2

Becca T

PM

We are really looking forward to taking our daughter to the Donkey sanctuary (about an hr from here) and also getting her hippotherapy in the future. She’s never yet been on a donkey or horse but loves bouncing on her “Rody” horse, so I imagine she’ll love it and will be great for balance and extension :)

03 May 2015 04:33 AM # 3

Healing Heart

PM
Becca T - 30 April 2015 04:38 PM

We are really looking forward to taking our daughter to the Donkey sanctuary (about an hr from here) and also getting her hippotherapy in the future. She’s never yet been on a donkey or horse but loves bouncing on her “Rody” horse, so I imagine she’ll love it and will be great for balance and extension :)

Did you see they have a Rody Max for older children now Becca?  I was hoping to get one here soon for our son, we have the Rody Junior which he’s too small for now, but I think it helps encourage spreading legs, and hip health while promoting movement.  Let me know what you think of the Donkey therapy, I seen it briefly while I was there and it looked so FUN!  I like that they are smaller for children to ride

Signature

04 May 2015 09:20 AM # 4

Becca T

PM

Hi! We’ve enquired and hoping to go to the Donkey sanctuary in 2 weeks time! I will let you know how it goes!!

We still use the original Rody- she’s only 4 and small for her age! But I looked up the Rody Max for older children and adults, looks great and I hope your son loves it!

05 May 2015 08:24 PM # 5

Healing Heart

PM
Becca T - 04 May 2015 09:20 AM

Hi! We’ve enquired and hoping to go to the Donkey sanctuary in 2 weeks time! I will let you know how it goes!!

We still use the original Rody- she’s only 4 and small for her age! But I looked up the Rody Max for older children and adults, looks great and I hope your son loves it!

I haven’t purchased the Rody Max (but I hope to - he’s just a bit pricy at over $100)... We do a lot of hippotherapy but have noticed that he doesn’t much like to spread his legs to ride facing forward.  He much prefers both legs to be positioned over one side of the horse.  Was hoping some Rody Max time at home might encourage more forward facing on the horse - but who knows.  I could get it and then it wouldn’t help - so hard to tell sometimes.

Signature

14 May 2015 12:40 PM # 6

Becca T

PM

Going to Donkey Santuary this Sat- can’t wait!
HH- Have you tried Craigslist for Rody Max? That is expensive for retail! We got our (original ) Rody on Craigslist for $25. Or maybe if no luck some special needs equipment swaps on FB?

16 May 2015 09:39 PM # 7

Healing Heart

PM
Becca T - 14 May 2015 12:40 PM

Going to Donkey Santuary this Sat- can’t wait!
HH- Have you tried Craigslist for Rody Max? That is expensive for retail! We got our (original ) Rody on Craigslist for $25. Or maybe if no luck some special needs equipment swaps on FB?

I haven’t looked at Craigslist yet for a Rody Max…. I’m kind of leery of Craigslist at the moment… we only live about 10 minutes away from the lady that had her child removed from her womb after meeting a lady selling baby clothes.  Gave me the heebie jebbies….. now I’m kind of thinking maybe Ebay might be safer :(

Signature

17 May 2015 05:46 AM # 8

Becca T

PM

I know, you have to be careful and wise on Craigs- it worries me sometimes too. I always tried to meet at public spot if possible. I have no idea what you mean BTW of a baby removed from her womb?!
Went to Donkey Sanctuary @ Templepatrick near Belfast today~ amazing centre! We will def be there again! Brielle cried and unsure at first, but rode around 8 mins :)

18 May 2015 03:31 AM # 9

Healing Heart

PM
Becca T - 17 May 2015 05:46 AM

I know, you have to be careful and wise on Craigs- it worries me sometimes too. I always tried to meet at public spot if possible. I have no idea what you mean BTW of a baby removed from her womb?!
Went to Donkey Sanctuary @ Templepatrick near Belfast today~ amazing centre! We will def be there again! Brielle cried and unsure at first, but rode around 8 mins :)

Becca here is the link to that terrible story about the lady that lost her baby.  She survived but her baby did not.  http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/us/craigslist-pregnant-woman-womb-baby-removed/
8 minutes is really great Becca!  I remember my son only making it a handful of minutes his first time he was so scared that he screamed.  Now he loves it so much that if we don’t go he gets so mad.

Signature

18 May 2015 10:10 PM # 10

Becca T

PM

Wow, that Craigslist incident is so scary and sad. Horrific.
I think she’ll warm up to the donkeys too after a few times :)

18 May 2015 10:43 PM # 11

Healing Heart

PM
Becca T - 18 May 2015 10:10 PM

Wow, that Craigslist incident is so scary and sad. Horrific.
I think she’ll warm up to the donkeys too after a few times :)

I know and it happened super close to where I live so now I’m a bit fearful of Craigslist!  I wish we had donkey therapy here.  I think it would be so much better than horses because they are smaller and likely a bit safer even on the hips so children didn’t have to spread their legs so far.  And lower to the ground so volunteers could hold them easier on a donkey…. # note to self…. start a Donkey therapy center….. lol I need it!  I bet she’s going to love it in no time

Signature

26 May 2015 09:35 PM # 12

Em Murphy

PM

Hugh loves Donkey therapy. The staff are really good with him and encourage him to hold his head up and sit up a bit straighter.
It is a great place to meet other families too.

Register to Post a Reply