Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Music Therapy?  What to Expect?

Healing Heart

PM

We were looking into Music Therapy for our child, yet I’m not sure what to expect since he’s very severely involved and not sure if a music therapist is going to expect that he can play an instrument or bang on a drum?  If you’ve done music therapy with your child what is it like?

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

16 September 2016 01:56 PM # 1

firefly3657

PM

Music therapy can be about dancing, swaying, clapping, singing, or just listening. My daughter doesn’t have the hand function for playing any instruments, she doesn’t have the mobility for much dance, and she’s non-verbal… and yet music is one of the greatest joys in her life. And ours. I say do it! I’m sure your son will get so much enjoyment.

22 September 2016 09:03 AM # 2

AlwaysRunning

PM

My son loves music therapy - his involvement is very passive but we know he enjoys it and is always very settled for a period of time after his music therapy session.

30 September 2016 03:56 AM # 3

Healing Heart

PM

I still haven’t done music therapy yet - but it’s more of an insurance billing challenge - than hesitation of whether or not he’ll like it or respond to it.  Here they seem to only want to bring in a musician of sorts and not really allow the child to engage with a musical instrument - I guess because they assume he physically can’t…

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply