Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Burned Out… Therapist? or the Therapy….

Healing Heart

PM

We’ve all been there… where we feel like the idea of one more therapy in our day is going to blow our minds.  But sometimes I wonder when we feel this way is it more a reflection that we feel that our child has outgrown a therapist or maybe their skill-set or philosophy and then we start to get these feelings or does it stem from just being burned out in general?

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

04 September 2016 05:57 PM # 1

J Shenal

PM

Yes!  I have found with my daughter (age 5) that sometimes she just needs a break too.  We took a break from OT for several months, after my daughter had major surgery.  When she started back, it was great to see that she was interested again and she really seems engaged again.  I think our kids get just as burned out as we do.  Sometimes, a break does a world of good for the child and the parent! grin

09 September 2016 09:02 PM # 2

Sylvia

PM

I often felt like that when my daughter was younger and getting OT, ST and PT. There were so many appointments and a lot of the time she would not cooperate with getting ready to go and then give us a hard time getting out of the car when we got there! It got to be overwhelming and it didn’t help that I felt like I could do exactly what the therapists were doing. So I asked if we could cut out some of our visits and if they would set up an at home activity plan for us so I could continue working on her therapy goals with her at home rather than trekking to their offices so much!  Surprisingly, they were all willing!

30 September 2016 03:54 AM # 3

Healing Heart

PM

I think I’m ready for yet another break… but it’s not the holiday season yet… so we march on… (secretly I’m praying for an unexpected vacation to escape…)

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply