Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Disabled people are not worth the minimum wage

AlwaysRunning

PM

Lord Freud is in trouble again…
I’m sure you’ll have seen in the news today Lord Freud being challenged on suggesting that disabled people are not worth the minimum wage! On further reading he seems to be saying that businesses could offer disabled people a lower wage that could then be topped up by the state in the form of benefits to equal the minimum wage?

What are your thoughts?

15 October 2014 05:01 PM # 1

the monkey puzzler

PM

On face value it seems pretty indefensible, but he seems to be claiming, as you say, that it was meant as a method of helping disabled people into workplaces that may not otherwise consider this an option by using state top ups for pay - much the same as I guess workplacements for long term unemployed etc - if that’s the case then I guess it probably has some merit. It may well have started out with positive intentions but got mixed up along the way, but then again given the current Govt’s reputation it could well be anything but well intentioned…

15 October 2014 05:37 PM # 2

AlwaysRunning

PM

Yes I must admit I don’t feel to inclined to give him the benefit of doubt considering his track record. Someone (I’m not sure who) on the radio today suggested a job like opening a gate to a builders yard on daily basis would be an example - I sometimes wonder do these people engage their brains before they speak!

15 October 2014 07:43 PM # 3

Healing Heart

PM

I don’t know much about UK politics, but was reading this article today in my SN newsfeed indicating some kind of now apology.  Do you think he means the apology at all?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lord-freud-tory-welfare-minister-accused-of-claiming-disabled-people-are-not-worth-the-minimum-wage-9796062.html

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

16 October 2014 11:20 AM # 4

AlwaysRunning

PM

He has history so I’m not sure but the debate continued this morning with some parents coming on and saying they would love their disabled children to have the option of earning £2 per hour (minimum wage is about £6 here in the UK) for being able to get out and about rather than sitting in the house.

My argument would be that there’s a lot of able-bodied people who aren’t very productive but automatically would receive the minimum wage.

16 October 2014 03:07 PM # 5

Supermum

PM

I was disgusted that he made that suggestion. It’s like disabled people aren’t deserving of minimum wage?? They have as much right to a decent wage packet as those on benefits who do nothing. His apologies are just a cover up.

16 October 2014 09:08 PM # 6

Healing Heart

PM
AlwaysEating - 16 October 2014 11:20 AM

He has history so I’m not sure but the debate continued this morning with some parents coming on and saying they would love their disabled children to have the option of earning £2 per hour (minimum wage is about £6 here in the UK) for being able to get out and about rather than sitting in the house.

My argument would be that there’s a lot of able-bodied people who aren’t very productive but automatically would receive the minimum wage.

Totally agree, there are lots of able-bodied people who aren’t a productive as an individual with a disability would be - even here in the US the same is true.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

18 October 2014 12:29 PM # 7

whoopiect

PM

I also do not know US politics but isnt this discrimination?  I dont care what his intensions were thats BS and everyone deserves an equal start pay, benefits, vacation days, etc… if I were N employee id purposely make sure Id pay people with disabilities more then minimum wage but I guess Im partial to this ;)

18 October 2014 12:30 PM # 8

whoopiect

PM

P.S.  who is Lord Freud????

18 October 2014 05:03 PM # 9

munam

PM

I think his comments were very Insensitive to anyone who has a disability or has a family member or relative with a disability. People with special needs should have MORE benefits and services made available to them.  Just wonder how he would feel if he were in need of special services.  Should lose his lordship.  People like him are a disgrace to mankind

Register to Post a Reply