Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

UPSEE FOOTPLATES

whoopiect

PM

Getting my son and myself into and attached to the Upsee is the easy for me. But the foot plates… thats a different story. What has worked best for you when your ALONE?  When your not alone do you put your childs foot in first or your own? I knoe what the manual recommends but that didnt work well for us. PLEASE SHARE WITH ME HOW YOU GET THE FOOT PLATES ON YOU AND YOUR CHILD!

15 October 2014 12:54 AM # 1

Healing Heart

PM
whoopiect - 14 October 2014 11:29 PM

Getting my son and myself into and attached to the Upsee is the easy for me. But the foot plates… thats a different story. What has worked best for you when your ALONE?  When your not alone do you put your childs foot in first or your own? I knoe what the manual recommends but that didnt work well for us. PLEASE SHARE WITH ME HOW YOU GET THE FOOT PLATES ON YOU AND YOUR CHILD!

When I use the Upsee alone, I make sure my feet are attached to the footplates first, I sit down on a chair or couch and lean my son into my body, attach his shoulder clasps then the waist claps then gently bend over to the right, attach the right foot to the plate, then lean to the left and attach the left foot plate.  Takes me a little extra time, and sometimes requires him to have a pinch of extra patience.  But we’re able to get it done.  Gets a bit easier each time.  Although my preference with anything special needs related is an extra set of loving hands to help out ;)

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

16 October 2014 10:52 AM # 2

AlwaysRunning

PM

Some people are putting the shoes in first so then you just slip your feet into the shoes and do a quick tighten of the straps.

I put my feet in last but I make sure the toe straps are in and the heel straps are done and the ankle straps are loose - I find flat ankle boots work best so no laces or buckles to get in the way.

Lots of people go bare foot too!

16 October 2014 02:36 PM # 3

Supermum

PM

I sit on a therapy stool and my son sits on a smaller stool which just slides under the therapy stool(was pure fluke we had a wee foot stool) I already have my trainers in the sandals so just have to slip my feet in.

17 October 2014 05:05 PM # 4

emmyisastar

PM

i agree, the order in which you get into all of the pieces is important when you are working alone.  i put the vest on my daughter first.  then i put the belt on me, sit down and put the footplates on me.  then i lift my daughter, connect the straps and strap her feet in last all while sitting and balance her in between my legs.  it’s not the easiest, but do-able with practice.

Register to Post a Reply