Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Its more than just a word

nannyah

PM

A couple of weeks ago I found myself crying after having read a Facebook Friends post in which she said an article of clothing had made her look like a ######. I have a 4 year old Granddaughter who was born with an underdeveloped brain and therefore has GDD and a few days prior My Husband and I had spent the week-end looking around nursing homes with MRI units for my Mother In Law who has severe dementure.  I am sure this person would never have knowingly wanted to upset me and to her it was ‘just a word’ but to me it represented a lot more.

13 October 2014 10:14 PM # 1

LittleFox

PM

I absolutely despise this word more than any other. It annoys me more that the younger ones now seem to not even see it as a derogatory word!
It seems to be as common as the way they say ‘oh that’s so gay’ again derogatory but said so often they don’t even flinch.
I have recently, if friendly enough with the person saying/posting it explained that I find the use of that word extremely offensive and they are basically saying that those who are slow in certain areas ‘literal translation’ LOOK a certain way.
I find that is enough to teach that person that that word is extremely offensive and hopefully they will stop using it.
As you say she didn’t mean to hurt you but I also think we need to react to people using these words in order to prevent them becoming common place.

Perhaps a quick comment saying ‘oh did you look beautiful like my 4 year old granddaughter’ would have made her realise the error of her post.

I hope you managed to find a home suitable for your mother in law. It sounds like it’s a difficult time for you all.

If all else fails hide this persons fb posts, you will have the high ground of removing her from your daily feed x

13 October 2014 10:30 PM # 2

Healing Heart

PM

Sometimes when a see a post that might include something that may not be intentionally aimed to be hurtful, I post only a link about the R-Word campaign, it kind of speaks for itself: http://www.r-word.org/

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

14 October 2014 09:04 AM # 3

nannyah

PM

Thank you for your comments,  Noah’s Miracle I have never come across this campaign, I shall post the link to my Facebook and my blog page

19 October 2014 08:51 PM # 4

munam

PM

I hope you managed to find a nice nursing home for your mother I law. I’m sure you must be doing through a pretty tough time at the moment with your mother in law and your grand daughter.  Sometimes people can be really insensitive by things they say or post.  I’m sure your friend had no idea how her comments upset you and if you pointed. It out to her I’m sure she would be absolutely aghast.  You could mention it next time you talk (if it’s just not on FB) that her comment was a bit close to home and you’re sure no offense was intended.  There are times when life seems to give a raw deal.  Take heart, I’m sure your friend didn’t mean it to be offensive.  Unfortunately there are a lot of terms used which really do cause offense although no offense is actually intended.

20 October 2014 04:45 PM # 5

nannyah

PM

Thank you all for your comments. Pleased to say that MIL seems settled into new nursing home. I posted the link to the stop the R word campaign onto my FB page and hopefully this will have put the message accross. Funny isn’t it how something so simple can cause so much upset when you are feeling vulnerable but I have put it behind me now.

Register to Post a Reply