Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Best response!

LittleFox

PM

Just a bit of fun…

What has been your funniest response to someone when they have been talking about your child?

Sometimes you think afterwards oh I wish I’d said this but sometimes you get it just right and can feel very smug!

13 October 2014 07:05 PM # 1

Healing Heart

PM

I once had a checker at a store think that there was a “vaccine” for my child’s condition (he has cerebral palsy)
I left really hurt as that whole conversation was just painful insinuating that I was the cause of his challenges.
Looking back on it I wish I would have said:  “Yep and he’s highly contagious, you’re going to get what he has in less then 24 hours and walk away.”  But that would do nothing for spreading awareness… but would have served her right to worry a little ;)

Or the time when someone called my child nothing more than a cripple….
wish I would have said something then too…. but I am so not quick to think on my feet with comebacks

The best one I use often now just out of habit when someone asks what is wrong with him is… “Nothing, what’s wrong with you?”  But that’s only when I don’t feel like trying to stop and explain he has cerebral palsy and what that all means.  I had a time when a lady really made me see red in a store when she bent down and looked him over literally from head to toe like twice slowly and then says “It’s cerebral palsy”  like she was making the diagnosis…. yes tell me something I didn’t already know!!!!  People can be rather rude sometimes.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

13 October 2014 07:14 PM # 2

LittleFox

PM

Your contagious comment made me chuckle! It certainly would have made her think!

I love the ‘nothing, what’s wrong with you’ although I suppose a lot of recent program’s shows parents saying ‘we would rather you just asked than stare’, what might be more appropriate is ‘we would rather you didn’t stare in the first place’

13 October 2014 09:33 PM # 3

Supermum

PM

Some people just have no filter..
I was once told “he doesn’t look disabled” now I’m not usually that quick at comebacks but it just rolled off my tongue…...why what do disabled people look like Mr Flimin Blobby!!

Another moment was when a nurse after watching me lift my son from his chair to a bed asked him to stand up so she could measure his height!! REALLY I just gave her a funny look.

13 October 2014 10:16 PM # 4

LittleFox

PM
Supermum - 13 October 2014 09:33 PM

Some people just have no filter..
I was once told “he doesn’t look disabled” now I’m not usually that quick at comebacks but it just rolled off my tongue…...why what do disabled people look like Mr Flimin Blobby!!

Another moment was when a nurse after watching me lift my son from his chair to a bed asked him to stand up so she could measure his height!! REALLY I just gave her a funny look.

Mr Blobby…absolutely cracker!

18 October 2014 12:34 PM # 5

whoopiect

PM

My son OFTEN gets the he looks so normal, or the nothing looks wrong with him from first glance… or what a beautiful child (I know they are thinking to bad hes stuck in his wheelchair after that bu the way they say it.) I usually just say yes, after his regression he has just become such a different child but if anyone can think of a keen comeback Id LOVE to hear it because we get this to OFTEN! Thank you.

18 October 2014 10:12 PM # 6

LittleFox

PM

He looks so normal…could you say… And what does abnormal look like?

Nothing looks wrong with him…not sure if this works as it’s very cheeky… Oh yeah nothing is wrong, we couldn’t be bothered teaching him to walk

19 October 2014 08:04 PM # 7

munam

PM

Yes I have read all of your comments and honestly, at the end of the day I just put it down to ignorance.  What does an abnormal child look like?  Not necessarily any physical characteristics but special needs children for the most part really do look like “normal” children.  I think the worst thing is when people stare at you and your little one.  That’s why I always say “thank God “when you have a normal healthy child.  So many times I hear people saying they want a boy or a girl.  The sex doesn’t matter,  they have no idea how having a child with special needs changes their lives forever.  I yet have to come up with a quick answer to throw back at the starters and when I find it I will let you all know.

Register to Post a Reply