Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Riding for the Disabled

Em Murphy

PM

I’m interested in finding out more about Riding for the Disabled.  I’ve looked into it online and found a centre quite close to us.  I went last week and was a little disappointed though as I had to hold Hugh on the horse myself and since I’m quite short it was really difficult.  I think he’d actually really enjoy it but I couldn’t hold him for very long :(

They don’t have anyone else there that would hold him on. Hugh’s not able to sit independently.  Is this the way it’s always done?  Or should I try elsewhere?

26 May 2015 10:19 PM # 1

inclusive home

PM

Oh! I’d be interested in this too as I think Twinkle would love it!

27 May 2015 10:49 AM # 2

sarahbrisdion

PM

Hi both, I am so shocked to hear this hon. My son has attended (and still does) two different RDA groups and they have both had so many volunteers there has never been a shortage of people to hold Hadley on his pony (he also cannot sit independently). I would perhaps try elsewhere if there is another group near to you as hopefully they don’t have the same problem. A friend of mine uses a private riding therapy centre for her boys as her local RDA had a very long waiting list, so there are other places that do help, but they are not cheap. That’s such a shame though as RDA is an amazing charity and the work they do is incredible and I can solely credit them for helping Hadley to build his core tone. Which group was it hon?
x

28 May 2015 01:41 PM # 3

AlwaysRunning

PM

We go to Donkey therapy which works well for us - there’s a raised area to push the wheelchair to and then the volunteers do all the rest of the work. So one leading the donkey and then two holding on.

It’s an Elizabeth Svendson Trust centre we use.

28 May 2015 06:00 PM # 4

Healing Heart

PM
Em Murphy - 26 May 2015 09:50 PM

I’m interested in finding out more about Riding for the Disabled.  I’ve looked into it online and found a centre quite close to us.  I went last week and was a little disappointed though as I had to hold Hugh on the horse myself and since I’m quite short it was really difficult.  I think he’d actually really enjoy it but I couldn’t hold him for very long :(

They don’t have anyone else there that would hold him on. Hugh’s not able to sit independently.  Is this the way it’s always done?  Or should I try elsewhere?

We’ve been doing hippotherapy for 4 years with our son.  Takes 4 people.  2 on each side to hold/position him, one to lead the horse and then the therapist to really direct the volunteers on what to do.  Although as you can imagine it is risky when you have volunteers who are new or don’t know how your child moves and are unprepared for his fluctuating high and low tone tendencies and lack of head, neck and trunk control consistency.  Makes me really nervous as the last time the volunteer let his head and neck snap completely back without correcting it and allowing him to hang that way while riding. 

I wish we had donkey therapy - smaller than these giant horses especially for children that have more severe disabilities.  But we don’t, I’m hopeful for an adaptive saddle launched on Hatch http://www.hatchthatidea.com/ because I think is would offer us the safest potential of riding long term.  He really needs an adaptive saddle because having volunteers that don’t know what they are doing is becoming a tad scary.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

07 August 2015 10:16 PM # 5

Becca T

PM

Yes the adaptive saddle sounds amazing! I’m looking forward to trying Brielle on the donkey again, and maybe finding a local Riding for the disabled group too. Such great therapy for our kiddos :)

12 August 2015 04:14 AM # 6

Healing Heart

PM
Becca T - 07 August 2015 10:16 PM

Yes the adaptive saddle sounds amazing! I’m looking forward to trying Brielle on the donkey again, and maybe finding a local Riding for the disabled group too. Such great therapy for our kiddos :)

I wish someone would start Donkey therapy out here - close by.  We have hippotherapy (generally with some GIANT horses).... well okay they feel giant when you have a 30lb child riding on it… but a Donkey feels like it just makes so much more sense - especially for more involved children who need more hands to support them while they ride.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

04 September 2017 08:46 PM # 7

James.S1991

PM

While we don’t use the local riding for the disabled to us, Munchkin has been on a pony trek and it was quite easy. We explained to the people who organised it and they were more then helpful. We did have to help him with his trunk support though. 

I think it’s hard for these facilities as they are mainly volunteer ran it’s a real shame!

Register to Post a Reply