Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Sensory Processing Disorder

AlwaysRunning

PM

Just thought it would be handy to start a thread on dealing with Sensory Processing Disorder.

Our little fella has quite complicated SPD in that he’s sensory seeking and sensory defensive at the same time.

We’ve found his lycra suit and weight vest to be an amazing help but I’m still struggling to get him to engage in any messy play his hands are held tightly to his chest - would love your suggestions.

We didn’t have much success with the vestibular board or sensory brushing.

21 February 2015 09:42 PM # 1

inclusive home

PM

We have a sensory seeker although she does get overwhelmed often too.

We have actually have found the opposite from you! She really didn’t like her lycra suit, I think it was too overwhelming for her and we have found vestibular exercises (spinning & swining) and brushing really seem to have helped to ‘ground’ her as well as helping with her balance.  We really notice when we miss them as she’s much more unsettled at night.

Music is a big help too.  She loves it (playing with musical toys, listening to music of all kinds and being sung to).

24 February 2015 05:01 AM # 2

Healing Heart

PM

Our son has some complicated sensory challenges.  Does enjoy vestibular motion, doesn’t care for brushing, sometimes aromatherapy - sometimes not.  Hates loud noises, gets overly stimulated easy - some days you don’t notice it at all, some days you see it all the time. 

Incorporating a reflex therapy (MNRI) that seems to be helping with startle reflexes and sensory challenges.  Have noticed improvement in the last 3 months.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

30 March 2015 09:52 AM # 3

AlwaysRunning

PM
the inclusive home - 21 February 2015 09:42 PM

We have a sensory seeker although she does get overwhelmed often too.

We have actually have found the opposite from you! She really didn’t like her lycra suit, I think it was too overwhelming for her and we have found vestibular exercises (spinning & swining) and brushing really seem to have helped to ‘ground’ her as well as helping with her balance.  We really notice when we miss them as she’s much more unsettled at night.

Music is a big help too.  She loves it (playing with musical toys, listening to music of all kinds and being sung to)

Just show’s you have to give everything a try. We’re about to put in a swing type thing to suspend him on his tummy to try to encourage him to reach out past his comfort zone.”

I’ve also bought a little Pal Seat to engage in more messy play without having to clean his main seating system (which is a nightmare).

Register to Post a Reply