Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Physio for parents/carers

Little_em

PM

I’ve finally hurt my back lifting my 4year old all day every day- I knew it would happen sooner or later!!! :(
I think as parents/carers we should be given exercises and advice to help prevent these kinds of injuries. I’m going to get a physio referral to see if there’s any fire exercises I could be doing to help. Anyone have any advice or experience in this area?

13 October 2014 03:49 PM # 1

AlwaysRunning

PM

I’ve hurt my back quite badly in the same circumstances! I waited that long for an NHS Physio that I went privately - it helped while I had the sessions but the pain returned as soon as I stopped and I just couldn’t afford to keep going although she did show me better ways of working with my son to ease any stress on my back!
I started doing yoga this year and there’s been a noticeable improvement - I’m no longer taking painkillers everyday!

13 October 2014 06:51 PM # 2

Supermum

PM

I’m waiting on an Nhs referral to Physio after X-rays showed that the bones at the bottom of my spine are crumbling away due to wear and tear from lifting my special needs son. Thinking of going private for a few sessions as I can’t continue with the pain, can’t afford it either but needs must.

14 October 2014 01:07 AM # 3

Healing Heart

PM

I seem to be getting a lot of injuries these days too… I keep telling myself it’s just because I’m getting older… but we all know the truth that lifting wheelchairs for a sport isn’t always the best idea… HA

I had a terrible sciatic nerve problem when lifting my son earlier this year and did acupuncture and it did a great job treating it.  I agree when I was able to - Yoga was definitely beneficial in minimizing injury.

The bad thing thought that means we’re paying double for therapy!  A set of costs for our child and a set of costs to fix us parents!

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

18 October 2014 12:42 PM # 4

Waggytale

PM

Yoga cured my sciatica. I’m now doing Pilates which also helps to strengthen your core muscles which prevents from further injury.
We have a social worker, as my daughter has high needs, and she gave me some money towards massages (enough for 5 a year). Brilliant! Although she’s retired now and I haven’t had any for this year.
I did go to physio for quite a while but they were pretty useless and told me to stop lifting my child! She was under 2 at that point, she’s 7now and I still have to lift her on a daily basis. They have no idea what it’s like!

18 October 2014 03:02 PM # 5

Healing Heart

PM
Waggytale - 18 October 2014 12:42 PM

Yoga cured my sciatica. I’m now doing Pilates which also helps to strengthen your core muscles which prevents from further injury.
We have a social worker, as my daughter has high needs, and she gave me some money towards massages (enough for 5 a year). Brilliant! Although she’s retired now and I haven’t had any for this year.
I did go to physio for quite a while but they were pretty useless and told me to stop lifting my child! She was under 2 at that point, she’s 7now and I still have to lift her on a daily basis. They have no idea what it’s like!

Shame there isn’t programs that financially assist us parents with keeping ourselves going too!  We invest so much in our children’s therapies there is nothing left to take care of ourselves!  Someone say yes your Yoga is on us and it’s free- I’m there!

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

12 November 2014 03:30 PM # 6

MommyLovesJ

PM

My two year old son weighs 32lbs and is 37in long and I weigh 120lbs. I feel like I should be able to carry him without a problem but I can’t. It makes me sad how tired I get after walking with him for a while…my arms start to ache and I feel short of breath. At night when I lay down for bed I get horrible pain in my mid to lower back! I need to start doing something to build some muscle.

Register to Post a Reply