Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Therapy Pets

FireflyCommunity

PM

Hello, we would be interested in hearing your experiences of having a therapy pet for a future blog post.

Thanks, Claire

18 January 2015 07:49 PM # 1

Buttercup

PM

I’ve had ponies since before my daughter was born and one of them has made it his business to ‘adopt’ her :) he always makes a beeline for her and is very careful with her. She leads and cares for him on a daily basis from up on my back, and he is also happy to be led by her from her buggy or her trike. When the weather is good she sits up on his back and we encourage her to do some exercises which she loves. He stands like a rock for her. She loves to ride him and is very involved with teaching him new things with clicker training. He doesn’t have a very good back story but he is a total star. My daughter adores him.

ETA; I guess he isn’t the kind of therapy pet you have in mind!

19 January 2015 02:04 AM # 2

Motherofvegemiteandwonder

PM

After lots of research, we got a Golden Retriever- Poodle cross puppy that will be trained to assist our daughter. We’ve got a great trainer who has experience training assistance and therapy dogs to help us. It is a lot of work - and we will get out of it what we put in - but it has been really rewarding. We call him our family therapy dog because taking him for a walk, playing in the garden or giving him cuddles benefits all of us.

19 January 2015 03:41 AM # 3

Healing Heart

PM

Our son will be receiving his licensed service dog soon, that will be skilled in mobility, stability and seizure response.  In some ways I’m sure it will also be a form of therapy and companionship for him.  We already have two cairn terriers, and he enjoys their company and energy.  We also noticed a huge difference when we did hippotherapy and the connection and bonding that occurred with his therapy horse.  His vocalizations became intentional and we noticed he started to acquire the ability to self-calm easily.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

22 January 2015 08:41 PM # 4

FireflyCommunity

PM

Thanks Guys - this is great a help. It’s great to hear your individual experiences.

22 January 2015 08:42 PM # 5

FireflyCommunity

PM
Buttercup - 18 January 2015 07:49 PM

I’ve had ponies since before my daughter was born and one of them has made it his business to ‘adopt’ her :) he always makes a beeline for her and is very careful with her. She leads and cares for him on a daily basis from up on my back, and he is also happy to be led by her from her buggy or her trike. When the weather is good she sits up on his back and we encourage her to do some exercises which she loves. He stands like a rock for her. She loves to ride him and is very involved with teaching him new things with clicker training. He doesn’t have a very good back story but he is a total star. My daughter adores him.

ETA; I guess he isn’t the kind of therapy pet you have in mind!

No this is perfect Buttercup - thank you

Register to Post a Reply