Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Sensory brushing?

AlwaysRunning

PM

So we do sensory brushing with our son twice a day but recently we’ve been told by another therapist that unless we do it every 20 mins (which is never going to happen) its pretty pointless?

Does anyone else do it and if so how often?

11 November 2014 02:01 AM # 1

Healing Heart

PM

Wow really every 20 minutes?  Haven’t heard of brushing every 20 minutes, I only did it a couple of times a day and never was told I needed to do it more….

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

13 November 2014 09:11 PM # 2

the monkey puzzler

PM

I’ve definitely read that somewhere before. Think it is up for debate. And some people would suggest it can actually be a negative if it’s not done rigidly ever 20-30 mins. Having said that we have done it before fairly sporadically and never saw any negatives.

26 November 2014 10:13 AM # 3

PhysioSW

PM

Hi brushing was originally founded as the Willberger technique and was recommended to be done every 2 hours. It has now been adapted so that it is more realistic to carry it out suggested once a day or a couple of times a day if your child responds to it. Responding means becoming more relaxed during brushing. Or watching which limb is being brushed. It is to increase body awareness. Using a body brush can act as a texture to decrese a childs limbs if they are sensitive to touch. Hope this helps.

01 December 2014 10:29 PM # 4

Supermum

PM

When our wee one was born he was in an incubator for 13wks and he loved it when I brushed his head(he had loads of hair) he now enjoys getting his arms and legs rubbed and equally enjoys rubbing our arms with his hands, he leads us as to when he wants it!!

02 December 2014 10:13 AM # 5

AlwaysRunning

PM
PhysioSW - 26 November 2014 10:13 AM

Hi brushing was originally founded as the Willberger technique and was recommended to be done every 2 hours. It has now been adapted so that it is more realistic to carry it out suggested once a day or a couple of times a day if your child responds to it. Responding means becoming more relaxed during brushing. Or watching which limb is being brushed. It is to increase body awareness. Using a body brush can act as a texture to decrese a childs limbs if they are sensitive to touch. Hope this helps.

Thanks - this is very helpful. So if he’s not enjoying it should I stop? Some days he seems to really relax and enjoy it, others he’s not so keen.

09 December 2014 03:07 PM # 6

PhysioSW

PM

Hi apologies for the delay in replying. I would speak to the therapist that recommended it if you can. But my advice would be on the days he seems to like it and be relaxed continue and on other days if it is causing aggitation or over excitedness stop for those days. In terms of sensory input what works one day may not work another day.

12 January 2015 12:33 PM # 7

AlwaysRunning

PM

Thanks PhysioSW - I think that’s were I get disheartened I expect an improvement everyday so if it’s not a good day I get frustrated I must remember what you said about what works one day may not work the next.

Register to Post a Reply