Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Travel Insurance

Healing Heart

PM

So we recently got back from traveling, and we took our Upsee with us.  Upon arrival home we realized that one of our bags was wet, when we opened it we found that our entire suitcase of all our clothes (the nicest ones we had too), plus our son’s Upsee was in the bag.  We aren’t sure what the wet fluid is or was… only that it left an oil-like stain on just about everything.  We tried to wash it out, but the stains just won’t come out.  The Airlines say it’s TSA’s problem since they left a notice in our bag saying they decided to go through it, TSA says it’s the airline’s fault because even though they went through it - it could have been the airlines fault during the flight.  Really I suspect this will be like each agency pointing finger at the other without anyone stepping up to accept responsibility for the fact that now not only do I have BRAND new luggage that was ruined, but all of its contents including the Upsee.  Although I’ve washed the Upsee, I am hesitant to have my son in it, since I can’t get the stains out and have no idea what the fluid is that is on it. 

I am rather newer at traveling.  The first time we had a damaged wheelchair from the airlines which was easy enough to rectify -I suspect this will be harder.  What do most SN families do when traveling?  Do you take out travel insurance of some kind?  Have you had success getting reimbursement for damaged luggage or contents?

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

06 November 2014 12:14 PM # 1

Supermum

PM

Wow that’s dreadful and worse when nobody will take responsibility for their action, I think I’d be the same as yourself and be weary about not knowing what the liquid was that spilled but I’m sure if you’ve washed it yourself it should be ok, hope you get it sorted soon. 
We took out insurance on our wheelchair before we went on holidays but thankfully didn’t need to use it but knowing we had it give us peace of mind

07 November 2014 03:28 AM # 2

Healing Heart

PM
Supermum - 06 November 2014 12:14 PM

Wow that’s dreadful and worse when nobody will take responsibility for their action, I think I’d be the same as yourself and be weary about not knowing what the liquid was that spilled but I’m sure if you’ve washed it yourself it should be ok, hope you get it sorted soon. 
We took out insurance on our wheelchair before we went on holidays but thankfully didn’t need to use it but knowing we had it give us peace of mind

It isn’t washing out - it’s stained everything.  And I can’t get it out of the fabric luggage.  How does one take out travel insurance?  Is that something extra you pay for through an airline? 

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply