Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Shocking but unfortunately not surprising

the monkey puzzler

PM

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-29889790

Really hard to believe things like this are still happening

04 November 2014 12:14 AM # 1

Healing Heart

PM

It’s so sad, we’ve too experienced the hurt of being turned away from a restaurant because of our child’s disabilities.  It’s a very painful situation for us when that happens.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

04 November 2014 11:04 AM # 2

the monkey puzzler

PM

It’s actually illegal to do something like this in UK now thanks to the Disability Discrimination Act, but sadly still happening. Interested to know if there is similar legislation in US?

04 November 2014 03:32 PM # 3

Healing Heart

PM
the monkey puzzler - 04 November 2014 11:04 AM

It’s actually illegal to do something like this in UK now thanks to the Disability Discrimination Act, but sadly still happening. Interested to know if there is similar legislation in US?

There are similar laws here - we have the ADA Act (American’s with Disabilities Act)  it too is also supposed to prohibit this kind of thing from happening.  This most recent restaurant experience wasn’t the first time we’d been declined service as a result of my son’s disability.  He was denied a hair cut as a very little guy - around the age of 2 - I tried to challenge that and report it and do all those things and it turned out to be a silly mediation thing.  No consequences to the business.  So the penalty and the process for holding these businesses to the law isn’t an easy one and I felt it was favorable to the side of the business and not the person who was denied service as a result of the disability.  And the paperwork the give you is insane to fill out if you have a compliant.  I suspect they know that that the likelihood of getting by with denying service could be good and therefore this type of thing is happening more than it should be.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

05 November 2014 06:22 PM # 4

SarahHalstead

PM

Wow. That is just crazy… I think things are getting better, but we still aren’t where we need to be.

Register to Post a Reply