Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Intros

19 August 2015 02:28 PM # 46

Glorious Treasure

PM
Glorious Treasure - 19 August 2015 02:19 PM

Hello everyone! My name is Shenika and My daughter name is Dream and this is our story that is featured in the August edition of MetroParent magazine.
Thank everyone for supporting us.
  All Dreams Have a Destiny!

LATEST PARENTING NEWS

Parent to Parent: Focusing on my Dream
By Shenika Moss

On April 5, 2006, I had twin girls, Treasure and Dream. They were so different from one another. Treasure was a smooth chocolate color, and Dream was light, as if the sun was shining on her.

But it was the color of Treasure’s eyes that alarmed me. A greenish color started creeping when she was about three months, and she was diagnosed with a progressive liver disease that destroys the bile ducts from the liver to the intestines.

Treasure had an unsuccessful surgical procedure to re-establish the bile flow to prevent further liver damage. She was then placed on a transplant list for a new liver.

After 19 months of going back and forth to the hospital and clinic visits, the phone rang at 5 a.m. on Jan. 19, 2008, with news of a new liver for Treasure.

As we were preparing her for the transplant, I spoke to her, saying “you are about to get your liver and you’re going to be all better.” But she became cranky, as the nurse reached for her to take her to surgery. Treasure reached backed for me, crying and fighting. It was like she was saying “no mommy, not this one.”

Treasure passed away 23 days later on Feb. 11, 2008.

It was a rough several months. My mother passed away, and I started to notice that Dream struggled with learning.

She was diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, a label I feared would limit her.

At the time, a psychologist said to me: “I don’t normally say this, but with her being labeled as this, they will continue to pass her through school, and before you know it, she’ll be 18 with a high school diploma but can barely read, write and do any type of math.”

And it was a struggle, and Dream eventually faced expulsion from school. I tried giving her medication, but she lost her appetite and suffered from insomnia. The doctor offered sleeping pills, but I couldn’t let her take them.

In the midst of this, I began to remember being in the basement of the funeral home waiting to get Treasure groomed to be put in her casket. I remember them wheeling her out wrapped in plastic on a stainless steel bed, looking at my child who used to yearn for me, lifeless.

It was a reminder to focus on Dream. I made the decision to homeschool her. How it will all turn out, I don’t know. It’s a day-to-day challenge.

But I am now learning how she learns and researching how to help her.

I wrote ADHD down on a piece of paper, and I started wondering what does that mean for Dream. It didn’t take long to figure it out: All Dreams Have a Destiny.

It’s my goal to now help other families who have children with behavioral issues. It’s about and for Dream and in memory of Treasure.■

Dream has became a entrepreneur in t-shirt desiging. All Dreams Have a Destiny!(ADHD) is to show other children who have behavioral issues and special needs to become leaders and to be the boss of their destiny. If you have any questions about these shirts which will be released on October10,2015, please feel free to contact me.

19 August 2015 05:30 PM # 47

Healing Heart

PM

Welcome to the Garden Glorious Treasure :)

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply