Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

What’s the best advice another special needs parent has given you?

sunmoonandstars

PM

What’s the best advice another special needs parent has given you and why?

29 October 2017 01:23 AM # 1

Healing Heart

PM
sunmoonandstars - 03 October 2017 10:45 AM

What’s the best advice another special needs parent has given you and why?

God I wish someone would have actually given me advice years ago when I first needed it.  I feel like in a lot of ways I had to blaze this trail for both myself and for others in the beginning.  I know what the worst advice is - which is probably that it gets easier.  I wish I could smack people who tell me that… I’m like easier for who exactly?  lol

What I wish people would have told me is to be gentle with myself and to know that there is no right way or wrong way to parent a child with special needs.  There is no rule book for this - and that each child is so uniquely different even if they share the diagnosis because I still think SN parents have a tendency to compare and measure up where our children are skill wise relative to other children with the same diagnosis and that is one of the worst things we can do to ourselves.  And I would have loved it had someone told me all that once upon a time…

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply