Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Alternative Holiday Plans

Healing Heart

PM

Seems like each year we continue to change things about the holiday season.  I had to let go of many family traditions because they were too difficult for my son with special needs.  This year it appears we’ll be skipping Halloween altogether (simply due to travel plans), but even if we were able to be here, we can no longer go door to door anymore with the amount of stairs it requires to get to front doors these days.  And last year we hunted an indoor place before Halloween to try to offer the trick or treat experience. 

I can’t help but feel though both of my children are missing out a bit on a childhood that I had and loved simply because we live in a world that isn’t necessarily handicapped friendly and I’m always trying to find creative ways to get around that.

Now I’m trying to build new traditions like putting up the Christmas tree before anyone else on earth since it’s my SN child’s favorite holiday…. and accepting invitations for Thanksgiving dinners for special needs families because sometimes it is easy and comfortable.

What have you all had to change about the holiday season to accommodate and make your child with special needs more comfortable?

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

30 October 2014 08:46 PM # 1

Supermum

PM

This year we have visited our local donkey sanctuary as they were doing a Halloween party which suited our child, tomorrow we will head into the city for a monster mash parade followed by fireworks!! He loves fireworks, last year we went on holidays and year before he didn’t really understand much about it, he still doesn’t but we decided this year to get more involved.

30 October 2014 09:32 PM # 2

Healing Heart

PM
Supermum - 30 October 2014 08:46 PM

This year we have visited our local donkey sanctuary as they were doing a Halloween party which suited our child, tomorrow we will head into the city for a monster mash parade followed by fireworks!! He loves fireworks, last year we went on holidays and year before he didn’t really understand much about it, he still doesn’t but we decided this year to get more involved.

Oh how I love the sound of your holiday plans!  That sounds like great fun and something we’d love doing too!  Hope you have lots of fun.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

02 November 2014 07:19 PM # 3

munam

PM

Hello Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle.  You know, your name is so appropriate because everyday does hold the possibility for a miracle for each and every one of us and to be honest that’s what’s keeping most of our spirits up and gives us the strength and courage to keep on doing what we are doing for our loved ones.  Miracles do happen and I’m praying that each and every one of you out their will get that miracle.  Good luck to each and every one of you.  I like the idea of putting the Christmas tree up early.  Sounds like a lot of fun and hope your little one enjoys all those pretty lights

Register to Post a Reply