Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Just Annoyed With Therapists

Healing Heart

PM

I have had the worst luck finding a good SLP for my son.  They are so flakey and inconsistent.  They cancel appointments or are no-shows, I’ll find a new company and I swear it’s like the honeymoon phase… they start off decent but then nose dive into being worthless.  I know that finding SLP’s that are experienced and knowledgeable in AAC communication is like finding a needle in a haystack.  Unless your child has a mild speech issue or can easily use low technology devices - there seems to be this gap in finding really good and skilled AAC therapists.  I really wish I could find one because I’m so exhausted and feeling like I’m doing all the work that my son’s therapist should be doing.  They don’t know the device, they don’t know how to program it, they seem uninterested in learning it, meanwhile I am doing their job and doing all of that myself while they simply bill insurance for being really zero help.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

30 July 2017 03:53 PM # 1

J Shenal

PM

You are not alone.  We are in the same boat.  We’re just starting our daughter with an AAC and it’s completely overwhelming as we try to do this all on our own.  I completely understand this struggle and feel what you’re going through!

Register to Post a Reply