Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Creating a Sensory Room (and not spending a fortune)

the monkey puzzler

PM

Hi all

We’ve just recently had our house adapted for our soon to be 6 year old. He now has his own purpose built room downstairs with everything he needs for sleeping / washing etc. But we’ve never really had the room to create him a sensory area until now and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for doing this on a limited budget? The cost of some of the equipment we have seen in catalogs is just ridiculous.

Fingers crossed for some inspiration.

Thanks

29 October 2014 03:48 PM # 1

Healing Heart

PM

I know looking at those magazines and catalogs can be so depressing.  You see things you love and dream of only to realize they are thousands and thousands of dollars.  Seems incredibly unfair!

There are some charities and foundations that will assist with some sensory room equipment.  (I’m happy to recommend some based on where you live, just send me a PM).  These things might include like a sensory platform swing that could hang from the ceiling.  Or sensory bubble lamps. 

If you are doing things on your own (like most of us are trying to do)  I try to look for typical items that aren’t labeled special needs that would serve the same purpose. 

For instance you can get a a bubble wall that you’d sometimes see in a fancy hotel or business staring around $200.  Or you can hunt sensory lamps like lava lamps, jelly fish lamps, LED ant houses, for sensory lighting. 

Typical toy gear toys can be placed on a wall to make your own sensory and tactile wall.  Those range around $60.  You can get sensory tables reasonably that are sand tables or water tables that sit up higher and place things like beans in them. 

Look for Tumblemats that are NOT labeled for special needs or from special needs vendors.  You can find some great high quality tumble mats on Amazon for around $80.  There are also some great posture pillows that would substitute for tumbleforms - like wedge pillows you can get at the store.

I’ve also heard some parents using Make a Wish or other Wish organizations to complete sensory rooms for their children.  Hope that helps, good luck on building this run room.  I just love sensory rooms they bring such smiles. 

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

30 October 2014 08:52 PM # 2

the monkey puzzler

PM

Thanks for all those ideas - some really brilliant ones there. I’ll get googling for stuff and also maybe look and see if there’s any funders that could help also.

30 October 2014 09:02 PM # 3

Supermum

PM

Iv a very handy hubby who is doing a homemade sensory corner with a bubble tube £30 (Argos) a mini trampoline and a ball pool, all surrounded with soft padding or foam squares. Iv already got mirrors for around the walls and getting a wooden activity cube which we will take apart and attach to the wall, its part of his christmas box,
Cheap and cheerful

31 October 2014 12:15 PM # 4

the monkey puzzler

PM

there in lies part of the problem - I’m fairly useless when it comes to DIY… Haha

I may get myself on a crash course before I embark on this!!

16 November 2014 01:25 PM # 5

MartaRamosPsi

PM

Hi!

You can do some things very easily.
For example, a sensory wall with different kind of textures (paper, rice, cotton, plastic, textiles…) and you can use some candles or incense with different smells (fruits or flowers).

you can also create different instruments (musical), with recycle material…bottle of water with beans or rice or even little stones.

By a CD with relaxing music, or you can found a lot of music in the youtube ;)

Hope it helped

05 December 2014 09:22 AM # 6

LittleSteps

PM

I have seen a start up sensory package for €220 including a medium bubble tube with plint & sensory light up pillow & wave projection toy. why not fundraise for a sensory room? hold a coffee morning or raffle maybe

05 December 2014 09:04 PM # 7

the monkey puzzler

PM

Thanks Marta, some nice ideas.

Little Steps that sounds pretty good. We have done some fundraising and could probably afford something like that. The stuff we had saw was hundreds for each item! Can you remember here you saw it? 

Thanks

06 December 2014 07:16 AM # 8

LittleSteps

PM

Adam and friends. They are based in Ireland. I never asked where you where based

06 December 2014 10:15 PM # 9

the monkey puzzler

PM

Hi. We are in Northern Ireland, so will check it out. Thanks!

Where abouts in Ireland are you?

07 May 2015 10:19 PM # 10

Becca T

PM

Great ideas, everyone! We are also based in N Ireland. We were recently at RVHSC and the play therapist put us in touch with Caldwell Children. They will help you fund a sensory package if you qualify (in terms of diagnosis, salary etc). Their website is http://www.caudwellchildren.com/ and I spoke with Davina Cann (who is the Family support co-ordinator for Northern Ireland ). Her email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) .
Hope this helps and good luck!

20 May 2015 08:54 PM # 11

the monkey puzzler

PM

Thanks Becca. Will check it out.

13 April 2016 01:08 AM # 12

YellowDaisy

PM

Hi!  IKEA sells tumbling mats for $35 (US).  We’ve also had little trampolines from rummage sales and we made a ball pit with a bout 2000 balls that I bought at rummage sales over a year or so.  The pit itself is a big inflatable swimming pool ($16US).  The one expensive thing in our therapry room (which is acutally just our living room, lol!) is a bubble light.  Our littlest has cortical vision impairment, so we sprung for the light at about $100 on amazon.

Signature

Mama to Scribbler and BabyBear

26 April 2016 01:33 AM # 13

Healing Heart

PM
LittleSteps - 05 December 2014 09:22 AM

I have seen a start up sensory package for €220 including a medium bubble tube with plint & sensory light up pillow & wave projection toy. why not fundraise for a sensory room? hold a coffee morning or raffle maybe

Awhh I love your avatar Little Steps with the feet… so precious and perfect!

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

09 October 2016 08:56 PM # 14

Brody, Me & GDD

PM

There are always some sensory toys in places like the pound shop and B&M oddly. Like the vibrating ball with that is massively noisy (if you know the one I mean!) and the light up balls. There is also things like pompoms, cushions and some bubble tubes (although admittedly, they’re not very sturdy looking!).

We made a sensory box when Brody was a toddler. Lots of plastic takeaway type boxes filled with things like corks, leaves, bubble wrap and dried pasta.

I’m sure Newlife is another charity that lets you borrow a sensory box x

19 September 2017 02:59 PM # 15

JakesJourney

PM

I love all those ideas! I recently made a gofundme to raise money for a sensory room for our son. So far we haven’t raised anything much. I see a lot of you are in Ireland and posted a link for resources for a sensory start up package. Does anyone know of anything like that available in the United States? I’m in Alabama.

Register to Post a Reply