Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Healthcare professionals say the silliest things…

Firefly Community

PM

Give us a giggle…

What’s the silliest thing a healthcare professional has ever said to you about your child?

17 May 2017 04:43 PM # 1

scarlala

PM

i once walked into an appointment with my boy asleep in chair. it was his first appointment at a new hospital as we had just moved, the consultant said to me: “he doesn’t look very autistic to me.” needless to say i didn’t stay in there long enough to bring up any of his other medical conditions

22 May 2017 08:31 AM # 2

AlwaysRunning

PM

Wowser! What med school did he or she go to :(

We were in A&E once and I explained my son was non verbal the doctor went on then to speak to my son and ask him where it hurts and looked at me blankly when he didn’t respond!

01 June 2017 05:39 PM # 3

Healing Heart

PM

I think one of the craziest things someone told me is that my son didn’t realize he had arms and legs - and I’m like yeah just because he has CP doesn’t mean he doesn’t realize he has arms and legs.  He knows they are there he also knows they don’t work for him very well…  makes you wonder about these therapists sometimes

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

06 June 2017 12:38 PM # 4

Tetraspecial

PM

Good question!

There are a few I could mention, but one very offensive thing was said to me over the phone…

I had called 111 because I was worried about my son’s illness, he was getting more and more feverish and I wondered if he needed to see an out-of-hours doctor.  I spoke to the medical practitioner on the phone and explained my baby’s newly diagnosed genetic condition (tetrasomy 18p, which is not dissimilar to trisomy 21 - ‘Down’s Syndrome’, but thousands of times rarer).

The practitioner’s first question was ‘Does he have a face like a Down’s child?’

I couldn’t believe it!

Anyway, luckily it turned out to be just a virus :)

Signature

Mum to a genetically enhanced superhero…
Amateur Firefly blogger…
Embracing this scary and wonderful special needs journey…

12 June 2017 04:28 PM # 5

Healing Heart

PM
Tetraspecial - 06 June 2017 12:38 PM

Good question!

There are a few I could mention, but one very offensive thing was said to me over the phone…

I had called 111 because I was worried about my son’s illness, he was getting more and more feverish and I wondered if he needed to see an out-of-hours doctor.  I spoke to the medical practitioner on the phone and explained my baby’s newly diagnosed genetic condition (tetrasomy 18p, which is not dissimilar to trisomy 21 - ‘Down’s Syndrome’, but thousands of times rarer).

The practitioner’s first question was ‘Does he have a face like a Down’s child?’

I couldn’t believe it!

Anyway, luckily it turned out to be just a virus :)

I would have been like WTF…. what do you mean does he have a face like a Down’s child… what does that have to do with anything?  Some people say the most inappropriate or rudest things ever.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply