Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Equipment Storage

Angelyn

PM

Our son is 3 1/2, and has SO MUCH equipment, which is a blessing, but difficult to store.  How and where do you store your child’s bulky equipment?  We have a wheelchair, stander, Firefly GoTo seat, peanut ball, floor mat, and endless toys etc.  I feel like it has taken over our home and would like to keep it all in one place!

Signature

Angelyn

13 March 2017 10:59 AM # 1

AlwaysRunning

PM

I had a mini meltdown yesterday about the amount of stuff everywhere and I HATE that its not all in one place so our peanut ball is in the shed, crash mats are tucked behind the settee, wheelchairs are in the bedroom (we’re lucky enough to have a downstairs bedroom), stander under the stairs, walker in the storage cupboard, therapy benches are in two other rooms. It literally drives me crazy!

05 April 2017 09:40 PM # 2

Healing Heart

PM

Special needs adaptive equipment can quickly take over your home - no matter how big your home might feel.  SN equipment is bulky and cumbersome and you can’t just fold down a stander or a gait trainer.  They are just what they are.  We’re fortunate enough to have some empty space in the basement that houses all of my son’s equipment that isn’t in active or daily use.  Then there is a large majority upstairs that is used daily (not just periodically or seasonally etc.)  I was doing battle with Medicaid/Insurance and their attitude seems to be that special needs parents WANT all this equipment that we see the latest and greatest like a new wheelchair model and want it or a new stander that came out and want it.  And while maybe that could be partially true, it’s because we know it has the capabilities to better meet the needs of our child.  It’s not because we LOVE having all this equipment that takes up gobs of space in our house.  All of us would trade it all if our children could have their physical abilities restored.  It’s not like we find this equipment like owning a fancy car.  There is no luxury to it.  It’s because our children require it for their daily living needs.  We’d all love nothing more if it didn’t stack up in piles in every corner of the house.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

09 April 2017 06:07 PM # 3

DutyDruid

PM

This drives me CRAZY too as I cannot bear clutter. Our daughter is not yet 4 so I have a feeling it will get worse but for the moment we have:

Fold down pushchair under the stairs (we were REALLY specific and pushy about the type of pushchair)
Splashy bathseat is stored in the bath
Firefly Goto and floor sitter under the stairs
Walking frame in the kitchen
Therapy bench behind the sofa
Leckey chair in the lounge
Climbing ladder thingy in her bedroom
Sensory toys in her bedroom
Standing frame is kept at her nursery

We have quite a large 3-bed semi but it’s not enough. We are actually relocating up north where houses are cheaper so we can get a bigger one, and it’s partly because we simply don’t have room for everything.

02 May 2017 01:13 AM # 4

Healing Heart

PM
DutyDruid - 09 April 2017 06:07 PM

This drives me CRAZY too as I cannot bear clutter. Our daughter is not yet 4 so I have a feeling it will get worse but for the moment we have:

Fold down pushchair under the stairs (we were REALLY specific and pushy about the type of pushchair)
Splashy bathseat is stored in the bath
Firefly Goto and floor sitter under the stairs
Walking frame in the kitchen
Therapy bench behind the sofa
Leckey chair in the lounge
Climbing ladder thingy in her bedroom
Sensory toys in her bedroom
Standing frame is kept at her nursery

We have quite a large 3-bed semi but it’s not enough. We are actually relocating up north where houses are cheaper so we can get a bigger one, and it’s partly because we simply don’t have room for everything.

Yes your collection will grow lots beyond that.  And sometimes you start to feel like your home needs to be stretched to get it all in there somewhere.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply