Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Why Blog?

Poll: I blog because...
Total Votes: 4
It’s a form of release for anger, sadness or anxiety
I enjoy it
Its my livelihood
Other

sunmoonandstars

PM

I’m thinking of starting my own SN blog and I’m curious to ask other bloggers, why do you blog?

Please comment and/or complete the poll above.

thanks!

12 March 2017 09:44 PM # 1

Angelyn

PM

I blog for Firefly because I appreciate having an audience that “gets it” and understands my motivations and frustrations of being a parent of a child with special needs, that a different audience wouldn’t relate to necessarily.

Signature

Angelyn

04 April 2017 11:28 AM # 2

Kerry-Ann Fender

PM

Hi,
I blog for Firefly and I have my own personal blog too. I blog because there are so many misconceptions out there about Down’s Syndrome, both in the general population and even in the medical profession in some respects. I want to share my experiences, which have been almost nothing like the doctors predicted before my son was born. What I share is ‘the lived perspective’ - which admittedly is a little different for each family - because Down’s Syndrome, like many other ‘conditions’ is more than medical. I also blog to demonstrate that children like my son may be different, but they are not less.

05 April 2017 10:04 PM # 3

Healing Heart

PM

I have been blogging now for over 8 years.  I started to blog before blogging was ever popular.  Hardly no one did it.  I was kind of a special needs mom trail blazer in that way.  My blog originally started off on a site called Caringbridge and blogging rather fell into my lap to fill a time when I couldn’t verbally speak to anyone.  We took my son off life support, signed a DNR, we didn’t think he had any chance of survival. I didn’t know how to tell people what was happening, I couldn’t utter my grief into words, but I could write them - I was so good at writing them because then I didn’t have to have face to face interaction with others and my pain -

Perhaps that is still why it’s my preferred method of communicating with others.  I know I lack the ability to orally tell people what my journey is like, but I can write it - I can write it down so ever beautifully because there is sometimes less risk of rejection, less risk of hurt, less risk of judgment, and you can write it, leave it, and walk away and keep going.  Six months after my son came home I then transitioned his blog to blogspot where it’s been hosted ever since.  It’s my therapy.  It’s my way of telling others what I can’t otherwise tell them in person.  And in some small way, I hope that by my sharing my pain and joys and wisdom and advice throughout the years that I’ve touched another special needs mom or dad’s heart, that I’ve offered hope or inspiration - that I have been their lifeline during the dark times - I hope I’ve offered my readers something valuable.  My pain with purpose as I always refer to it as.  Blogging is my gift to myself.  I need it - even if not one person read what I ever wrote - I still need to find a way to let those words fly free.

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply