Community Forum icon

Forums

The best place to talk with other special needs families, get advice and support, buy and sell products and get followers for your campaign.

Operation Opinions

AlwaysRunning

PM

I’d really really appreciate your opinions.

My son has a squint, it is not affecting his sight but it is becoming more pronounced as he gets older.

He won’t wear glasses or a patch so the only way to fix it is with an operation.

As this is considered purely cosmetic his doctor is very against it - however I feel strongly it’s our decision to make not hers.

He is well and has only had a couple of minor procedures in the past so I would be no more concerned that he was having a GA than if his younger NT brother was having it?

What would you do?

08 March 2017 09:55 PM # 1

J Shenal

PM

It never hurts to seek out a second opinion.  We did before our daughter had surgical procedures.  She has had the procedure for a squint and it helped loads with her hand-eye coordination!  One eye doctor told us it wasn’t necessary, while one was ready to get it done.  In the long run, we are very pleased that we had done.  Best of luck to you!

14 March 2017 08:30 AM # 2

AlwaysRunning

PM

Thank you - I really appreciate your response. We will look in to a second opinion.

05 April 2017 09:43 PM # 3

Healing Heart

PM

Do you think it could be a sensory squint?  My son has that problem with sunlight (or loud noises) or sometimes nasal congestion - lots of things trigger the squint but it’s not continuous but I do know when I see it that something is bothering him - usually sensory wise - it’s his defense mechanism prior to the gag and vomit reflex.  So if I see him squint and can fix whatever is bothering him sometimes I can avoid the gag and vomit reflex which is what comes next.  I’d vote on a second opinion too and try not to worry too much - we do that a lot don’t we… I wish I could turn off the worry button.  I feel like that’s shitty advice because I can’t shut off the worry button on myself.  But I suppose it sounds good in the moment right?

Signature

Everyday Holds the Possibility of a Miracle

Register to Post a Reply