September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. When my daughter, Bethany was diagnosed with brain cancer, it felt to me like we were the only ones in the whole wide world who had ever had a child facing such a dreadful disease.
When we arrived at the hospital where Bethany was to be treated, I was totally shocked to find so many other children battling cancer of one type or another. I had absolutely no idea that so many sweet and precious children actually got cancer!
In my mind's eye, I began the calculations. If there were at least as many children battling cancer in every hospital, in every city of the world, than the number of children fighting for their lives had to be staggering!
The thought was overwhelming!
Childhood Cancer is devastatingly heartbreaking for these beloved children and their families.
The impact that such a serious and often deadly illness has on a family is catastrophic.
My own daughter, nearly died several times during her battle with cancer and complications from her surgery have caused her to live with multiple permanent disabilites. You may be as surprised as I was by the following devastating facts about childhood cancer.
Childhood Cancer Facts and Figures:
• Every year, 263,000 children in the world under the age of 20 are diagnosed with cancer. That’s 720 children diagnosed every single day!!
• Every year, 91,250 children in the world die each year from cancer. That’s 250 children dying every single day.
• Childhood cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in children under the age of 15 in the US.
• Less than 5% of the USA's Federal Government’s funding for cancer goes to childhood cancers.
• 2/3 of childhood cancer patients live with long lasting chronic conditions caused by cancer treatments.
Childhood Cancer needs to be wiped out and eradicated!
You can join the fight against Childhood cancer by: • Going Gold for Childhood Cancer. Display the gold ribbon on your Facebook pages, blogs, and other public places.
• Organizing fundraisers such as runs, walks, and bike-a-thons!
• Run your own lemonade stand.
The portable activity kit. Fun therapy at home or on the moveFind out more