Is Saturday night “Pizza and a Movie” night at your house? Get your kids in on the action by having them help you prepare this quick and easy recipe for pizza with a whole wheat crust – definitely healthier than most take-away pizzas, and more fun too! What kids don’t like getting to add the toppings themselves?
Makes 2 medium-sized pizzas
1 cup warm water, 45˚ C (If you don’t have a thermometer, this should feel very warm to your fingers, but not scalding hot!)
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 envelope (2 ¼ teaspoons) instant yeast
2 ¾ cups whole wheat flour (or, use white whole wheat flour for a milder taste and texture)
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups canned pizza sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 red or orange bell pepper, sliced
1 pint sliced mushrooms
Couple handfuls fresh basil, torn
Grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 260˚ C. Arrange oven racks in top third of oven.
2. Lightly spray 2 perforated pizza pans with cooking spray. (You can also use regular baking sheets, but perforated pans will help your crust to crisp up better!)
3. Place warm water in a small bowl. Whisk in honey, olive oil and yeast. Let mixture sit for about 5 minutes.
4. Pour the mixture into the bowl of either a food processor, or a mixer with a dough hook attachment. Add flour and mix for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add salt and continue to mix for a couple more minutes.
6. Put the dough on a lightly-floured surface and knead a minute or two until it comes together. Divide dough into 2 equal-sized balls.
7. On lightly floured surface, roll out each ball using a rolling pin into a 10- or 11-inch circle. Try to make sure they are of even thickness, so that they bake evenly!
8. Transfer the dough circles to your prepared pans.
9. Top each piece of dough with about half of the pizza sauce, cheese, bell peppers and mushrooms.
10. Bake about 12-14 minutes, rotating the two pizzas halfway through cooking. They are done when the crust is golden and the cheese is melted!
11. Top with fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
The mobility solution that evolves with your child’s needsFind out more