Today is Shrove Tuesday, a day when families traditionally eat rich or fatter foods, usually pancakes with sugar, lemon or syrup before beginning fasting on Ash Wednesday.
Many children with special needs follow restricted diets but this doesn’t mean they should miss out.
Here is a handy EGG, DAIRY & GLUTEN FREE recipe for pancakes, to make sure your whole family has an opportunity to enjoy Pancake Tuesday.
- 125g gluten-free plain flour
- egg replacer, equivalent to 1 whole egg (for example 1 tsp of Orgran No Egg with 2 tbsp of water)
- 250ml hemp milk
- sunflower oil for frying
- agave syrup - to serve
- Put the flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the Orgran egg replacer and a quarter of the milk.
- Use an electric whisk to thoroughly combine the mixture, then beat in another quarter of the milk. Once lump free, mix in the remaining milk.
- Leave to rest for 20 mins. Stir again before using.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan with a splash of oil.
- When hot pour a small amount of the mixture into the pan and swirl around to coat the base – you want a thin layer.
- Cook for a few minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then turn over and cook until golden on the other side.
- Repeat until you have used all the mixture, stirring the mixture between pancakes and adding more oil to the frying pan as necessary.
- Serve with a drizzle of agave syrup or filling of your choice.
The ingredients are available at any larger supermarket or health food store.
Send us your Pancake Day photos or your restricted diet recipes and we can share them with the Firefly Garden Community - [email protected]