I can’t believe it. Did she really just say that?
That was so rude! I should strangle her with a G-Tube. No, come on. Calm down. Calm down. Deep breaths, count to ten.
1…2…3…stop grinding your teeth…4…5…they didn’t mean it, they just don’t understand….6…7…but what a stupid, insensitive…NO! no, just breathe…8…
In fact, let’s hope every parent can keep their cool when somebody makes a rude comment about their child’s condition.
It happens far too often if you’re the parent of a child with special needs.
Some people with typically-developing kids can say all sorts of stupid stuff, which may not be aimed to hurt you but can still land a sickening blow.
1. “He looks so normal”
2. “You are so lucky you don't have a child who can talk back”
3. “You’re lucky you don’t have to chase after her”
4. “Isn't there a vaccine for what he has?”
5. “God only gives special kids to special parents”
6. “You're a saint, I could never do what you do”
7. “When is he going to start talking?”
8. “My child learned to read by the age of 1, I am raising a baby genius”
9. "Oh, how sad for you. Maybe you'll get it right the next time"
10. “Is he your only child? Are you going to have another one?”
Do you hear these comments on a regular basis? Join us on the Forum and share the comments that enrage you...
The portable activity kit. Fun therapy at home or on the moveFind out more